Topic: Hello and my first BGT game, Fast Word

Hi everyone!
Since this is my first post, I'm going to introduce myself at first.
My name is Hrvoje Katic, I'm a low-vision person, and I'm from Zagreb, Croatia, which is a country at the crossroads of Central Europe, Southeast Europe, and the Mediterranean, and we are European Union member since 2013.
My first serious attempts at programming were in 2003 when I was 16 years old, and I've created some apps in BNS BASIC programming language for Blazie notetaker devices. Later on, I've learned PC programming, and I'm a Python programmer by default, since I'm coding in Python for around 6 years. I'm the best known in a blind community with my SkypeTalking project, which is the accessibility plugin for Skype that I've started working on back in 2010. I haven't tried to write any PC games before, until I found BGT this year. So I've decided to give it a try and make some stuff with it, although the Angelscript is totally different from Python and more similar to C. I've learned C++ basics, but I never took it seriously for writing apps, since I prefer high-level programming languages, but anyway.
And so here it is, my first attempt of making BGT game. It's quite simple, and may be it'll be tried by someone. It can be downloaded from my website, at the following link:
http://waveexplosions.com/fastword.zip
View readme.txt for important information. Since this is my first BGT game, the source code is included as well.
Best regards,
Hrvoje

Best regards,
Hrvoje

Re: Hello and my first BGT game, Fast Word

Hi,
it's a nice little game for a first project.
Out of curiosity, how difficult did the transition from Python to BGT actually feel? Or, rather than a transition, getting used to a new language. Was it difficult to stop thinking in a multi-threaded way and thus to get used to the concept of a single centralized main loop, to forget about events and the like, to grasp a statically typed language with no or at least very limited type casting?

It's not my kind of game, so I'm afraid I don't have too many things to say about it design or gameplay wise, but I think it's a good idea that does have its potential use cases and I do appreciate it for what it is.
However, I noticed a couple of bugs or rather things that could be improved to act better and perhaps more intuitively. Are you interested in that kind of feedback, or do you consider the game done and gone? :-)

Lukas

Hi,
In fact, I've learned basics of C++ before I switched to Python, so it wasn't too hard for me to transition to BGT. Variable and function declarations and using braces for opening and closing code blocks was one thing that I had to get used to, since these things don't exist in Python. Arrays, or how they call them lists in Python also work somewhat different. Working with classes is similar, though in Python there are no constructors, Python is using it's __init__ class method for that purpose.
I wrote this game just for fun, but I will fix bugs if there are some. One bug that I'm aware of is that TTS engines are not switching in correct order when i press the down arrow in speech setup.

Best regards,
Hrvoje

sounds good.
Another bug is that alt+F4 doesn't work in the main menu. Can you tell why? :-)
Lukas

Yeah I reproduced that bug. This is strange, since my function which checks if user wants to exit works everywhere except the menu. I will hopefully find a way to fix it.

Best regards,
Hrvoje

Well I fixed that. I forgot to set callback function and then check for alt+f4 input inside callback function. The bgt manual is always helpful smile.

Best regards,
Hrvoje

Cool. :-) I didn't want to tell things like that straight away to someone who has had a considerable programming experience before BGT. :-)
The reason the callback is needed is that until the menu runs, the menu is executing its own loop, and we know that only one loop can ever be running at one moment in BGT, which is always the one contained in the currently executed function if any.
So, the old way, the checkExitRequest function would be called only once as soon as the user chose an option in the menu, which is not desirable. :-)
Lukas

8 (edited by Hrvoje 2015-12-22 09:12:31)

Yeah that makes sense. To be honest, I even never didn't try pressing Alt+f4 inside the game's main menu. I also forgot about the fact that only one loop at a time can be running in BGT.

Best regards,
Hrvoje

Yeah, BGT is thread-safe but that comes at a cost. :-)
Lukas

Just to let you know, the link is now coming up with an "Account suspended" webpage.

Sorry to say but my server is down because I was unable to pay server costs on time. The link where you can download the game for now is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/407 … stword.zip

Best regards,
Hrvoje