Topic: Braille output support for Jaws in BGT through Tolk API

Hi Everyone in the forum,
I am from Hungary and the refreshable Braille display market in our country is reigned mainly by the Freedom Scientific Focus and Pacmate displays. And we, hungarian blind people, have a fairly strong foundation which had helped for many hundreds of us getting the Jaws screen reader legally.

The Jaws does supports for automatic scrolling the Braille text only for their own displays, e.g. for Focus and Pacmate only.
All other manufacturers, vendors and brands are omitted and disregarded by FS in a very unpolite and ugly manner.

In the last years some of my friends succeeded buying from second (or third, fourt and so on) hands some non-FS Braille displays and they sadly discovered that using the Jaws, they have the single possibility: to scroll the text manually either on the PC keyboard or on the Braille display itself with the dedicated buttons.

In the recent and the last year I had written a few Braille-related little utility for the hungarian blind community in BGT (mainli text rendering, converting, dehyphenating, decolonizing ones), and recently some of the non-Freedom-production Braille display users asked me to create a text reading software with automatic scroll capability for all kinds of Braille displays.

I wanted to do the programming at first place in C++ and downloaded the free Tolk support Library.
It is a screen reader abstraction API library for Jaws, Window-Eyes, NVDA and some other screen readers.
Extracting the archive i became very happy when among the example codes I've found interface (wrapper Tolk API class) and example files for BGT too.
But alas, when I compiled and tried out the example, it did not passed through the user defined text to the Jaws Braille displaydriver layer, only the speech.
I am sure, the programmer
Davy Kager <>
of that very high quality library had made a wery thorough work and had not left any error in the example files, because the other bindings I had tried out (C, C++, C#, VB.NET, Python) worked seamlessly.
I think that the problem is this: the Tolk API programmer had an earlier BGT version, which seamlessly could interoperate with the Tolk library and its BGT wrapper class.
Along the time BGT evolved and as none of its users tested, it had lost this capability.

So, if it is possible, I am kindly asking Philip to contact  Davy Kager <> and with concerted effort straighten this problem and publish a new, corrected version both of the BGT and Tolk, wichever of them needs correction.

I happily would participate in the testing, because now I am writing the targeted utility in C#, but the .net timers with the Richtextbox C# class are working very unreliably. I would like to switch completely to BGT, because so far in my time-related code modules I could rig fairly precisely-timed functionality.
And for last but not the least, if I could finish in BGT this autostepping Braille reader module, I could it merge with the text processing BGT modules and to create a all-in-one Braille reading solution both for ANSI and Unicode text files.

With best regards:

     Endre, the Webtigerking

Computers fulfill your instructions, not your expectations.