Topic: News from Blastbay Studios, and a call for opinions

Hi all,

I am slowly but surely nearing the finish line for my current game project, and before I release it I would like to ask the community at large some questions. Your input will greatly help me when deciding what to spend time on before release. Below are four questions that I would very much appreciate your answers to:

1. Would you like the ability to order the game on CD? This would cost something like 10 dollars extra including worldwide shipping.

2. How much does the size of the game matter when it comes to the downloadable version? Is something like 300 MB too large?

3. In what format would you prefer to have the manual? Narrated inside the game, available in text format, or both?

4. If the game contained cheat codes and you had to beat it in order to unlock them, would you want the ability to buy them for something like 5 dollars without having to earn them? This applies to other unlockable content, as well.

I do not have a set release date for the game yet, but it will be available in the not too distant future. The game that I am refering to is not Perilous Hearts, but is actually something even larger and, in my opinion, far superior. The state of Perilous Hearts is currently not 100% certain, but I am confident that you'll enjoy this game just as much and hopefully a whole lot more. I cannot give any definite information about the game at present, except that it is a mix between arcade and adventure with a boatload of action thrown on top.

Thanks in advance for reading, and taking the time to respond to my questions!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

Re: News from Blastbay Studios, and a call for opinions

1. i would never buy something on CD like that if i could avoid it. 
2. no that's not to big.  i don't really care how big it would be.
3. i would like the manual in text; html preferably so that it could use same page navigational links to the sections.
4. i personally never would by them.. i think people should have to beat the game to get them..

1: I think that download only is what most people would use, hardly worth adding that ability.
2: In my opinion, 300 is not too large at all. Sure, it is pretty big, but for a decent project in size, not a big deal at all. Really the only down side is for those with slow connections... I think largeness is not a big deal.
3: Either or, doesn't matter IMO.
4: I don't like cheats...nuf said.
As for unlockable content, I prefer unlocking it. much more fun.
Excited to play this mysterious project when it is released!
Superior to Perilous hearts? wow...hard to do I think.

I'm -274 percent of a person.

1. The download is the fastest way to play a game. I will never buy a CD if I can download it.
2. I don't care of the size, the size of a game is many times the best advertise for it.
3. I prefer the text format, the best being HTML.
4. I will google for cheat codes... smile

Emanuel Boboiu

1. I will only buy something on CD if there is no other way to get it. If I can download it, I can play it right now!

2. The size of the download doesn't bother me, since I'm on a fast cable connection.

3. I would prefer the manual to be in some textual form. I also really like games that have an in-game "Learn Game Sounds" feature. The recently released "Adventure at C:" includes an introductory level at the beginning of the game. This level familiarizes you with a few sounds and concepts. I like this, but I think it should be able to be skipped. In this case, I know why the author did it that way. If I were doing a tutorial level, I'd make it separate from the actual game, so you could play it when and as needed without effecting any stats if you managed to screw things up!

4. If I were really stuck, I might buy the cheats. "Shades of Doom" got around the Googling for cheats problem by making the cheat codes specific to your registration. "Super Liam" and "Judgment Day" got around this issue by making sure cheats don't work, even if you know them, until you've finished the game once and earned them.

Hello, Phillip, here is my opinion for your questions.
1. Usually, I prefer downloadable version since it is too far for me to order on CD. However, you can set as optional as GMA have done.
2. As long as the quality is good enough, I think big side is not the matter nowadays.
3. I prefer both since you can read as well hear narrator within the game that make the game more enjoyable and interesting.
4. Finally, I like cheat, so I think that cheat could be included. You can set cheat could be obtain by beating the game or you can do as GMA, that is,
we can buy cheat if you are not willing to beat it by your own effort.
Thank you for reading my answer. I hope it will help.
Regard, Vireak.

Email

1 I personally am not interested in a version on CD.
2 As far as I'm concerned, size doesn't really matter. Of course, it'd be nice if the game was as small as possible, but if that means sacrificing features or quality I would rather see the extra features.
3 I personally prefer some kind of text. I don't really care about a narrated version, if you want to implement that then that's fine by me. But whatever you do, please also do a text or HTML file.
4 I would really prefer it if the unlockables would only be obtainable by playing the game.

Really curious to see what this is going to be about. I was definitely interested in Perilous Hearts, so I wonder in what respect this one is going to be better!

Hi,

These are my answers:

1. Would you like the ability to order the game on CD? This would cost something like 10 dollars extra including worldwide shipping.
No, CD's are not longer a must for me. In this time of ultrabooks and windwos tablets I think a CD drive is not longe relevant.

2. How much does the size of the game matter when it comes to the downloadable version? Is something like 300 MB too large?
In this time of broadband internet connectiosn a size of 300 MB is not longer an issue. I think a size under 1 GB is no problem.

3. In what format would you prefer to have the manual? Narrated inside the game, available in text format, or both?
I prefer Textformat, you can read it at your own tempo and also it is possible to read it on your braille display.

4. If the game contained cheat codes and you had to beat it in order to unlock them, would you want the ability to buy them for something like 5 dollars without having to earn them? This applies to other unlockable content, as well.
I have no opinion on this question but I will never buy for getting cheats. I will beat the game to get the cheats is part of the gameplay.

Regards

Hi,

Maybe you can post an audio trailer of the game big_smile
As a present for the people who responed on your questions big_smile

Here are my thaughts.
1. I will not buy a CD unless the game is maybe 1 gigabite in size. Even then, I might just wate. Paitience is key at times.
2. Again. Size doesn't mighter these days. It sounds like this game is going to be pretty good.
3. HTML is good for the manual so you can read it on your display etc.
4. And I believe in working for the cheat codes. I'm really not a fan of cheat codes since it usually ruins the challenge of the game. But if you have to work hard for them, then that's fine.
Hopefully there will be a verry insainly hard final boss.

Hi Philip and all,
I am going to contribute to this topic as well. My laptop has unfortunately been lying in a repair shop for the last two weeks, so I can only occasionally watch the forums and other stuff on my iPhone using a Bluetooth keyboard, but this topic is worth answering even under these uncomfortable conditions while there is still time to do it. The good news is that I should be getting my poor computer back on Monday though, so I should be able to get back to gaming, coding and everything else on Tuesday or soon after that.
So, here are my answers:
1. I certainly wouldn`t bother with a CD these days. I regard it as my own responsibility to back up the game installer somewhere such as a flash drive or CD myself after I have downloaded it. I tend to put everything on external hard drives and flash discs anyway as I find stacks of CD`s rather annoying than helpful, neat or anything like that.
2. The size doesn`t matter to me personally either. You could perhaps do something like Liam did with the Super Liam game years ago, back in the days of the incredibly slow dial-up connections, that is to put up an alternate download besides the setup executable, which could be a self-extracting archive split into several parts or something like that.  I don`t think that even such a compensation for the larger size is necessary these days.
3. I certainly prefer manuals in written form as well, HTML is the best accessible and most convenient to use format. If the game contains a sound guide or a tutorial level which is directly incorporated into the gameplay, it`s a great tool to immerse the player into the game mood and teach him or her everything gradually, but I don`t think it`s necessary to have the instructions narrated. It could help to create a somewhat smoother and more professional impression if it was possible to listen to the instructions directly from within the game, but I think it should certainly be just a complement of the textual form and not the only possibility to choose in either case.
4. I wouldn`t buy any cheats or unlockables myself unless I was really completely stuck or frustrated with being unable to earn them the honest way for ages, but several people might decide to choose the easier path instead, so it could earn you slightly more money as a cherry on the top of the cake, sort of. Again, though, I believe it would only have to be a complementary alternative choice and not a sole possibility.
Hope this helps, and I am looking forward to the big day for this game. :-)
Lukas

1. I really wouldn't purchase the game on CD. As everyone else has stated, CD's are just so obsolete these days. Plus, downloading the game would be much faster.
2. The game's size to me really doesn't matter. If the game is under one gig, which it will most likely be, that is ok for me.
3. I personally am a big fan of in game tutorial levels, but a text/html mannual is the 2nd best, in my opinion.
4. I will never buy cheat codes for any game. I like to only use cheat codes after I have successfully beaten the game at least once. Even after that, the cheat codes are really just for a little entertainment. I believe that recieving the cheat codes after beating the game is a great idea.

Thank you Phillip for writing your conclusion in this topic. I believe your effort is great as in Q9. I surely  buy it as soon as it releases. However,
would you mind telling the approximated price for us? Thank. Regard, Vireak.

Hi Philip,

Do you already made a conclusion about your questions that you asked the community?
Any other news about the game big_smile Or, an audiotrailer ...

Bye

Hi there,

Yes, I have concluded the following:

1. No CD's. While some people say that it would be useful, the absolute majority seem to prefer regular downloads and that makes it simpler both for myself and for the players.

2. The size is clearly not an issue.

3. The current manual is in html format, divided into headings with appropriate links between them. I will probably keep it that way, and not produce an audio version of the manual.

4. It will be possible to get the cheat codes by beating the game or performing other tasks, but I will also be selling them. Not immediately, but after the game has been available for some time. Then I will publish them as a separate item for purchase.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

Hi Philip,

Thansk for your fast response.
I think the whole audiogame community is waiting to hear a little bit of your new project and to try it big_smile
will the game be releeased this year, this month, this week, this day, this hour or maybe this minute?

Greetz!

I'm curious myself

Hello, Phillip, it has been quiet for quite long since you post response of your decision on input. Almost all people in the audio game community and i are curious about what is going on right now. Would you mind revealing abit about your project? Thanks. Sincerely, Vireak.

Hello, Phillip, it seems to be clear right now you go abit further from Blastbay Studio since you now release BGT as freeware. Thus, do you still try to finish you upcoming game you confirm last year or stop its development from now on? Sincerely,  Vireak.

20 (edited by afsilva90 2014-06-16 20:58:38)

Hi Philip,

I am a big fan of audio games such as Q9 and I'm curious to see what's this new title from Blastbay! I hope you won't disapoint us!
Firstly, though, I will answer your questions:
1. I'm not a fan of buying games on a CD unless it's the only choice I have in order to play them. I prefer the downloadable version. Bavisoft, another gaming company, decided to make the community purchase their games on CD and I think that we, as part of the blindness community, should have the ability to choose what we would like to do. I'd rather have a downloadable version (or more) if I had the choice.
2. In terms of size, as I mentioned, something under 1GB isn't a huge matter for me unless this affects sound quality.
3. In terms of the manual, I'd preffer having it in text format such as HTML. However, I would also like to have some audio tutorials to get a feel for how this game is played. I think this should be optional.
4. In terms of the ability to buy cheat codes, I wouldn't like to spend Money for them until I've worked very hard for them! I'm a strong believer in honesty and cheat codes certainly don't fit into my belief! As for unlockable content, I would rather beat the game in order to unlock it unless you force me to buy it!
Secondly, I would like to introduce myself. My name is André Filipe Silva and I was born in the USA. However, I come from a Portuguese background.
Thirdly, I would like to ask you some questions about this soon-to-be-released title. Is it going to be another side-scroller like Q9 or is it going to be something completely different? Will it have voice acting or not? Quite frankly, I was very disapointed when I downloaded the concept demo for Perylous Hearts because all the text found within the game was narrated by TTS. Please don't disapoint me once again!
Kind regards,
André Filipe Silva

Hi Philip,

Could you please send me some audio demonstrations of your upcomming title?
Kind regards,
André

Hi Philip,

Could you please provide some audio tutorials of your upcomming title? Could you please make these available from within the package?
Kind regards,
André

Hi Philip,

What's the new title going to be about? What's the story behind it? What are the controls for playing the new game?
I tried to send you an email but there was an error. When I finished typing my message and sent it, the message was rejected because of permanente failure. The error it returned was "DNS: Domain name not found". In the to field, I put the correct email address. In the CC field I didn't put anything. In the subject field, I put "New title from Blastbay". In the Body field, I wrote my message and, as soon as I sent it, this email returned with the error message I mentioned previously. What went wrong?
Kind regards,
André

Hi André,
I'm not Philip but I'm going to answer some of your questions and concerns anyway. First of all, though, I would like to ask you not to post three or four postsin a row without any interruption by another poster. This forum is not as cluttered as audiogames but this is still a good practice nevertheless. That's what the edit button is for, if you want to add more thoughts to your own post if they occurred to you since first posting it and noone else has posted anything after you yet.

There might have been some issues with the Blastbay domain in the past few days. Philip's e-mail address has always worked reliably in the past and when I tried to access this forum the day before yesterday or so, it didn't work either, with a message probably in Swedish which most likely came from the webhost.

The Perilous Hearts concept demo was just that, a concept demo, nothing more and nothing less. A lot of the planned features were not introduced yet and even the content that was already there can still be changed later on during the development. And Philip was of course intending to replace all Sapi text with human narrations near the final release. I'm also pretty sure he mentioned this fact more than once in his audio emonstrations, on this forum and probably in other places as well.

I doubt he would reveal any more information about the upcoming game to the public right now, not to mention recording audio tutorials, trailers or demonstrations. His development process and schedule has always been like that as far as I can tell. It's a common and well proven business practice of the mainstream companies and it also feels more professional. Judging by certain past stories of other audiogame developers, his reason for doing so is also more than justified. He always tends to provide information, audio or playable demos or trailers whenever he feels appropriate, so we'll just have to wait patiently and give up any potential hopes of him telling something special just to you personally when he has not decided to do it for the public yet.
HTH,
Lukas

25 (edited by afsilva90 2014-07-12 14:13:26)

Hi Lukas,

How is the game going on? Is this game going to be an arcade-style game like Q9 or not?
Best wishes,
André